Thursday, 27 November 2014

WIP: Dwarfs Longbeards #6

Over the last couple sessions I went back through the unit with Abaddon Black to clean up any dry brushing that got onto the beards or grips of the weapons. Then, just as I did for the for the Hammerers, I split the unit up into five groups of five and base coated the beards. The colors used can be seen after the jump.

Wednesday, 26 November 2014

Showcase: Rebased Forge World Tyranid Trygon

I've shown this Trygon before. I'm sharing it again because i've updated it's base. It's previous base was hand made by myself and pretty awful. Find out how I got my hands on a spare oval base after the jump. 

Tuesday, 25 November 2014

WIP: Blood Angels Mk4 Assault Squad #2

So I did some work on the first batch of three Blood Angels. I'm following my own tutorial to the letter (btw a great way to remember your paint schemes). Painting the red armour actually took longer than expected. I guess jump packs add a significant amount of bulk to a model that needs to be painted. Also you can see there are lots of bolts on the models, which all needed to be painstakingly shaded, one by one. And don't get me started how many layers of yellow I needed for the knee guards… However, I can now proceed painting all the details. Looking forward to the finished results!

Monday, 24 November 2014

Showcase: Blood Angels Sternguard

More Blood Angels, this time Sternguard! I really like how the laurels and the red armour contrast on these. If you look closely you can see the light OSL around the eye lenses and the dust on the lower ends of the tabards and on the "feet". Hope you like them!

Sunday, 23 November 2014

WIP: Dwarfs Longbeards #5

Took me another two days of intermittent hobby time to do a very controlled dry brush of Ironbreaker on the lads. After the wash and this step the details are really starting to show. I think I will wait to do the final Runefang Steel highlight until after I do the golds, beards and such.

Chat: DarkJesterLord – The Story so Far

So. Who is The Dark Jester Lord? The ruler of a far away realm? A mildly humorous noble from a midnight dimension? or a crime-fighting vigilante protecting the citizens of some dark and gothic city?

None of the above I’m afraid. I’m a miniature painter and Illustrator with a background firmly rooted in a love of fantasy and science fiction and my first Citadel Miniatures at the age of 10 years old. I worked as an assistant games developer and then graphic designer for Games Workshop in the early 90’s and did a lot of design/illustration for a few video game companies after that. Since those days I have been painting miniatures and models and building a small (but perfectly formed) dark empire of miniature painting in England and on the web.

Saturday, 22 November 2014

Tutorial: How to paint Beorn in man form

In this detailed tutorial I explain how I painted Beorn in man form for my Hobbit collection. More after the jump. 

Friday, 21 November 2014

WIP: Blood Angels Mk4 Assault Squad #1

More fun with Blood Angels on Tale of Painters ;) A while ago I painted a Blood Angel for a tutorial on Tale of Painters. It was actually a test model for a small allied Blood Angels contingent that I have in mind for my Ultramarines. I really love Blood Angels and their background (actually not the Vampire thing, more the master artisans and nobility theme), and I guess if the Death Company kit had been around back then when I started my Ultramarines army, I would have rather collected Blood Angels instead.