In today's post I share with you a complete photo tutorial guide to paint this scheme pictured above. It's perfect for Untamed Beasts, Godsworn Hunt, Bloodreavers or any Barbarian model. More after the jump!
This tutorial assumes you have a basic understanding of how to paint. For the beginners, I will explain the techniques as I go along. Each picture below shows four chronological steps. Underneath each picture are the corresponding instructions. Each step shows the paint I used during that step.
Paints you will need for this tutorial:
Contrast MediumWraithbone Contrast Undercoat
Contrast Medium (Technical)
Bugman's Glow (base)
Guilliman Flesh (contrast)Snakebite Leather (contrast)
Skeleton Horde (contrast)
Gor Grunta Fur (contrast)
Mournfang Brown (base)
Deathclaw Brown (layer)
Cygor Brown (contrast)
Doombull Brown (layer)
Stormvermin Fur (layer)
Nuln Oil (shade)
Apothecary White (contrast)
1. Undercoat your model with Wraithbone undercoat spray
2. Mix Bugman's Glow with Contrast medium (1:1 ratio) on a paint palette and then paint it over all the skin areas. If it starts to pool in one area, wick it away with a spare brush.
3. Mix Contrast Medium with Guilliman Flesh (1:1 ratio) and apply this to all the skin areas. You can switch out Gulliman Flesh and replace with either Darkoath Flesh or Fyreslayer Flesh for different skin tones.
4. Use Snakebite Leather on all the straps. Once dry apply a second coat.
5. Paint any bone areas with Skeleton horde.
6. Paint the trousers liberally with Gore-Grunta Fur. Apply a second coat when dry. If it pools heavily in one area use a spare clean brush to wick it away. You can also use this paint to paint the end of the horns a darker colour.
7. Paint the trousers with Mournfang Brown, leaving the Gore-Grunta Fur previous step showing in the recesses.
8. Apply some thin edge highlights of Deathclaw Brown to the trousers. Thin your paint with some water so the paint flows from the bristles more easily. I've added a crosshatch of very thin lines to the trousers.
9. Paint any pouches and the belt with Cygor Brown. Paint the tips of the horns with Cygor Brown as well.
10. Highlight the previous step with Doombull Brown.
11. Paint all the metal areas with Leadbelcher. A little Lahmian Medium mixed in really helps to smooth the paint out and it paints on much nicer.
11b. Paint the loincloth and boots with Stormvermin Fur.
12. Mix Contrast Medium with Nuln Oil (1:1 ratio) and apply it to the Leadbelcher and Stormvermin Fur
13. Apply some thin edge highlights of Dawnstone to the boots and loincloth. Thin your paint with some water so the paint flows from the bristles more easily.
14. Apply Apothecary White to the fur areas.
To finish your model, paint the base. I painted my base rim with Steel Legion Drab and the sand with Zandri Dust and then dry brush Screaming Skull over the sand.