In today's post I share with you a complete photo tutorial guide to paint this Malkyn called Lighaen from Skaeth's Wildhunt. More after the jump!
This tutorial assumes you have a basic understanding of how to paint. For the beginners, I will explain the techniques as I go along. Each picture below shows four chronological steps. Underneath each picture are the corresponding instructions. Each step shows the paint I used during that step.
Paints you will need for this tutorial:
Wraithbone Contrast UndercoatContrast Medium (Technical)
Averland Sunset (base)
Nazdreg Yellow (contrast)Ubshanti Bone (layer)
Skrag Brown (layer)
Gryph Hound Orange
Skeleton Horde (contrast)
Loren Forest (layer)
Militarum Green (contrast)
Strakken Green (layer)
Waaagh Flesh (base)
Dark Angels Green (contrast)
Warpstone Glow (layer)
Liberator Gold (layer)
Reikland Fleshshade Gloss (shade)
Plaguebearer Flesh (contrast)
Stormhost Silver (layer)
Skeleton Horde (contrast)
Black Templar (contrast)
Screaming Skull (layer)
1. Undercoat your model with Wraithbone undercoat spray.
2. Mix Averland Sunset with Contrast medium (1:1 ratio) on a paint palette and then paint it over all the skin areas. If it starts to pool in one area, wick it away with a spare brush.
3. Mix Contrast Medium with Nazdreg Yellow (1:1 ratio) and apply this to all the skin areas with a generous coating.
4. Mix 50:50 Ushabti Bone with Lahmian Medium to create a glaze and highlight the raised areas of the skin with the mix. Let dry and repeat to increase intensity.
5. Mix 50:50 Contrast Medium with Skrag Brown and paint this over the hair.
6. Mix 50:50 Contrast Medium with Gryph-Hound Orange and paint this over the hair. Repeat to create deeper shading when dry.
7. Mix 50:50 Contrast Medium with Loren Forest and paint this over the woven armour panels.
8. Paint Contrast Militarum Green over the leaf armour and the woven armour panels.
9. Highlight the leaf armour and woven armour panels with Straken Green.
10. Paint the harness with 50:50 Contrast Medium and Waaagh Flesh.
11. Paint the harness with 50:50 Contrast Medium and Dark Angels Green.
12. Highlight the raised areas of the harness with a Glaze of Warpstone Glow and Lamian Medium. Repeat to increase the intensity of the highlighting. Edge highlight with Warpstone glow and a touch of water mixed in.
14. Mix 50:50 Contrast Medium and Reikland Fleshshade Gloss and paint it all over the gold areas. The contrast medium helps pull the shade into all the crevices.
15. Repeat the previous step but this time use Plaguebearer Flesh over all the gold.
16. Paint thin highlight lines of Stormhost Silver on the gold.
17. Paint the claws and teeth with Skeleton Horde.
18. Using a fine detail brush, apply some Black Templar to the tip of the brush and then twist the brush and pull towards you on your mixing palette until you get a fine controlled line. Then paint thin defining lines wherever two colours but up against each other. This is called Black Lining and gives definition to the model. Thinner the better. Also paint the eyes with Black Templar.
19. Apply two dots to the eye leaving a black outline and a black dot in the middle. Also highlight the teeth and claws with Screaming Skull.
Check back soon for my tutorial on how I painted the base.